Monday, 20 September 2010

Can coffee really kill (someone else, that is)?

I was quite fascinated (in a ‘whaaat?’ kind of way) by this story, about an American man who strangled his wife with an extension cord – and who claimed that coffee made him do it.

I’ve heard of the devil causing this kind of urge in people, and also one’s spouse neglecting to put the cap back on the toothpaste, but coffee?

Like many people, I’m slightly caffeine intolerant, and after my third cup of coffee in the morning (without which I remain in a state of suspended animation, unable to put my pants on the right way or remember where I left my head), I, too, sometimes suffer from ‘nervousness, excitement … and rambling speech’. And it’s possible I’d suffer from insomnia as well [really? from coffee?? little-known fact], if I hadn’t just woken up.

I’m also often gripped by anxiety after drinking coffee (and three cups is, according to the American Psychiatric Association, an overdose): I get the feeling that something bad is happening somewhere, and as a result, when the phone rings, even though I’m physically capable of answering it, I’m not mentally capable of anything other than nervous and excited rambling.

Interestingly, the person phoning is usually someone trying to sell me something I probably don’t want and definitely can’t afford. Which probably goes some way to explaining why my usual response to the telesalesperson password ‘How are you?’ is so, well, nervous and excited.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Claudine said...

I don't even know what to say to that story. Really, that's his defence? Wow.

On the other hand, coffee is EVIL! I used to drink about 12 cups a day. I can't anymore.