Tuesday, 20 January 2009

Simon’s cat: brilliantly simple animation

I find my cats an endless source of amusement. I think it’s got something to do with how dignified they perceive themselves to be, and therefore how completely hysterical it is when they do something silly like falling off a fence or having a run-in with a chicken and losing; and I particularly love how they always sit down and concentrate hard on licking their bottoms when they’ve been embarrassed, as if that’s what they intended to do all along and whatever ridiculous thing occurred instead had nothing to do with them.

My cats – like most cats – are very good at waking me up when they’re hungry. One of them, Evan, employs the very effective method of yowling loudly and not stopping until I’ve filled his face with food. Another, Floss, will come and sit next to my head and then just stare at me – there is nothing like waking up uncomfortably aware that something isn’t quite right and being confronted by a pair of huge orange eyes millimetres from yours.

Simon’s Cat is a short animated film drawn by someone who clearly knows his cat very well. I think it’s brilliant how, in such simple line drawings, he has entirely captured the spirit of his hungry little cat, who will stop at nothing to get his breakfast. The sound, too, is just too charming. (And check out Simon’s bedroom – the cat toys, the scratched-to-buggery furniture, etc: this is someone who really loves his cat!)

Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ffwDYo00Q&feature=channel

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: