Monday, 21 July 2008

Flood art: haunting driftwood sculptures from the Natal deluge

Look at these these ethereal sculptures, made out of driftwood that washed up on the beach at Umzumbe, KwaZulu Natal, during the recent floods.

I don't know the name of the sculptor - but I promise I'll find out for you. These pictures, which were emailed to me by my mother, were taken on the beach in front of our family's cottage in Umzumbe, where, apparently, the sculptor was staying.

These sculptures made me laugh - I love the bony scuttling legs, and the craggy stick-hat. Click on the images to see bigger versions.















Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

settledowndude said...

Juno these things are awesome. This person deserves fame and fortune, and a job on the city council. People who beautify their surroundings are wonderfull. Im delirious, bring more.

settledowndude said...

Hey juno for the complete horrible background to this fine dining experience

http://sarocks.co.za/2007/08/24/peppermint-crisp-fridge-tart-local-is-lekker/

Juno said...

Thanks for the recipe link dude. I do love a trashy pudding. Actually, that's a lie. I don't like sweet puds and desserts, but I do APPRECIATE a white-trash pudding recipe.

Juno said...

... and on the subject of the sculptures: yes, aren't they amazing? Will double my efforts to find the name of the clever artist.

Muriel said...

Wow, these are so gorgeous. I love how they grow out of the sand; also their amazingly intricate starkness, lovely for what they just are. Thanks Juno! This is food for the eyes (and not of the peppermint-crisp-fridge-tart variety).

Muriel said...

Incidentally, for more in this vein look up artist Andy Goldsworthy. He works art out of nature and his ephemeral installations are awesome. They're amazing in still pics but just breathtaking in motion - there's a movie called 'Rivers and Tides' about his process and it is astonishing. (Thanks T for introducing his stuff to me.)