Tuesday, 18 March 2008

White people can’t dance

And here’s proof.

As much as it’s my policy never to out myself on Salmagundi – which Johann, who is regularly named on this blog, resents, and with reason – I just can’t resist posting these pics.

While this living-room boogie-fest was happening deep into the small hours of last Saturday morning, I’m not sure what my bop-buddy D was thinking – but I hope it was that he was John Travolta (and the visual proof says maybe), because I was most definitely Uma Thurman at her jivey best.

I swear, I was there: svelte, sexy and feeling every scintillating doo-wop-wop and sha-la-la-la. If you’d entered me in Dancing with the Stars (or whatever the latest reality show is that tests toe-tapping talent), I would have won, hands down.

T stayed safely behind the lens and it was only when she emailed these pics that I realised why. Oh my goodness and golly gosh! (as T might say – and when she lets rip with an authentic swear word, she adds, ‘Excuse my French’; she is just too charming). How alarmingly embarrassing!

After my initial recoiling from the computer screen (I actually reared back and knocked myself right out of my chair, and I am not even making this up) I looked at the pics again (carefully, through slit eyes). Although there will always be a cringing discomfort at how appalling they are, I’ve decided I really love them.

Look: we can’t dance, okay? But we still love to. And if making life livable includes dancing a bit every day (as Robert Fulghum* says), then my friends and I have got at least one thing right.

* Robert Fulghum’s rules for life: all I really need to know I learned in kindergarten

Share everything.
Play fair.
Don’t hit people.
Put things back where you found them.
Clean up your own mess.
Don’t take things that aren’t yours.
Say you’re sorry when you hurt somebody.
Wash your hands before you eat.
Flush.
Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.

Take a nap every afternoon.
When you go out in the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands and stick together.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

tonypark said...

Nice air guitar in the last pic, and tres Uma in the one before.

I've seen you dance and, believe me when I say this, because it's heartfelt, you're almost as good as I am.

Although Sarah could still have her own dance/reality show as she is better than the lot of us.

meggie said...

Cool!! Dance as if you can!! haha.

I don't mean that to be rude either!