Tuesday, 7 August 2007

Food 'tastes better' with a McDonald's logo

If you, like Ray Hartley, think that the government's new junk-food packaging proposals are a waste of time and precious resources, suck on this for a minute: a new study has found that young children think food tastes better when it's in a package emblazoned with the golden arches.

According to a report in Forbes, 'Most 3- and 5-year-olds who taste-tested a variety of foods said they preferred the ones in the McDonald's wrapper - even though the foods were exactly the same.'

The report continues:

'This study demonstrates simply and elegantly that advertising literally brainwashes young children into a baseless preference for certain food products," said Dr. David Katz, the director of the Prevention Research Center at Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Conn.
"Children, it seems, literally do judge a food by its cover. And they prefer the cover they know," said Katz, who was not involved in the research.'

Now, children, what would you like for dinner? Bangers and mash in a nice yellow box, chocolate ice cream in a blue box with bunny print, home-made lasagne in a puffy pink packet, or lightly grilled brains, candied gizzards and Frankenchips in a red McDonald's box?


Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

meggie said...

That is truly horrifying to contemplate. But sadly, it is true, I would think. One of the first things my young grandson learnt to say was 'Happy Meal'. To my utter horror, as I wouldnt be caught dead eating any of their food- never have had a Mac burger!
Of course the fact that I dont eat red meat probably helps!

bec said...

Love that photo... It won't be long before they start producing McDonalds baby formula, I'm sure, so when you place your order they can ask "and would bubs like a Happy McBottle with that?"

(thanks for the link, Juno - wil be doing the same over my way...)

angel said...

now that is friggin scary...

Audrey said...

Hello Juno

Been reading back through your blog ever since I clicked on your link on Mr Hartley's, and for the first time in ages I have a bookmark to add to my favourites. It has been like getting a little present. Long live Salmagundi :-)

Audrey

Juno said...

Hi Audrey! Thanks for the kind comments. Can't take all the credit though - my co-writer dear Muriel is a bloody scream, isn't she?

Love your blogs and have blogrolled them! Am composing a pome in my head as I write.

Bec, Meggie, angel, etc - check them out:

http://paquarium.blogspot.com/
http://ppomes.blogspot.com/

Juno

Audrey said...

Yup, I love Muriel! Thanks for having me over. I feel as though I should put the kettle on and make some tea, or pour us all a nice glass of something. S'lovely.

---<-@

Juno said...

A nice glass of something, I think.