Saturday, 30 June 2007

'Nodda problem', 'Marself' and other annoying Seffricanisms

Recently, in James Clarke's Stoep Talk column in The Star, he mentioned a recent poll that asked people to vote for the most annoying things people say (sorry, no link available). Clarke's personal least-favourite South African word was 'Izzzzzit?' (meaning, 'Is that really so?'). Though I find this mildly irksome, I'm actually rather fond of it, because it's just such a fuzzy, all-purpose South African word.

Here is my list of offensive Seffricanisms (South African English slang words).

1. 'Nodda problem'.
Literal translation: 'Not a problem'.
Generally means
: 'With pleasure: of course I can!'
Used by: receptionists, call-centre staff, salespeople

Usage examples:

'Hello, may I please speak the the manager?'
'Nodda problem!'

'I'd like to complain about this broken toaster.'
'Nodda problem!'

'Hello, I have a problem.'
'Nodda problem!'

2. 'Marself'
Literal translation
: 'Myself'.
Generally means
: 'Me too!'; 'I too'; 'I can relate!' or 'I agree!''
Used by: a depressingly large number of people, generally under the age of 23.

Usage examples:

'I'm having a really bad day.'
'Izzit? Marself!'

'Are you fond of sport?'
'Marself!'

'Marself, I love watching rugby'

'Kaitlynn and marself, we went to movies this weekend'

3. 'AZwill'
Literal translation:
'As well' (but with the accent on the 'as')
Generally means
: 'me too' or 'also'. Used by: a depressingly large number of people, generally under the age of 23.

Usage examples:

'God, I think the people who write blogs can be really boring and pedantic.'
'AZwill! Marself!'

'Buy this computer, and we'll throw in some free software AZwill' '

'AZwill, marself: I love rugby. '

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

tonypark said...

Mrs P and I know we've been in South Africa too long and it's time to go back to Australia when she starts saying:

"Ja.."

And I start saying, "Izzit", or God forbid, "Howzit".

What annoys me is the way you okes (oops) guys leave out the last word of the sentence.

EG: "Are you coming with..." instead of "with me".

Two nice phrases we've exported from Zim to Australia are "Just now" (I love that - anything from in a few minutes to next year), and "NOW NOW".

tonypark said...

Oh, and let's not forget that oldie-but-goodie...

"Shame".

Which can be nicely used to commiserate for anything from a broken fingernail to a death in the family.

Shame.

Clair said...

waa haa haa! My personal favourite is 'Pant' as opposed to 'Pants' for example:- 'I can like to be wearing a jean pant.'

*snigger*

angel said...

heh heh, my personal love-to-hate... is "now now"!!!
have you ever read "ah big yaws" by robin malan? it was published in the 70s and its hysterical!