Monday, 21 May 2007

My poor, pathetic pup: so sick I dare not go to bed

How do you stop a puppy from vrekking in the night? I don't want to be a pessimist, but dear little Coco is so sick that I don't know if she's going to make it. Her gums are as pale as paper, she's breathing fast and shallow and her little furry frame is all a-shiver.

I won't bore you with the details. Suffice to say that there has been a lot of human retching and gagging going on in this house in the last two hours, and that there isn't a scrap of kitchen or toilet paper to be had within a kilometre of our front door. The air is humming with lavender oil, tea-tree oil, deodorant, Handy Andy, hair spray, Windolene and Jeyes' Fluid. Fights have broken out. Children are weeping. Befouled carpets hang from the frosty branches of the trees in our garden.

Anyway, the patient is wrapped up in two blankets, on a big pile of newspapers, flanked by two hot-water bottles, in the scullery. I am checking her every twenty minutes, syringing warm sugar water (with a pinchlet of salt) down her throat and prodding her to make sure she is still alive.

I'm scared to go to bed in case she shuffles off.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: