Friday, 27 April 2007

Live cancer sufferer advertises in 'Death' column

I was reading the hatchings, matchings and dispatchings in the Star classifieds today and saw this in the Deaths column:

Heim-Stafford: Marnie
Please help me keep my name out of here. I am 36 years old and should be looking forward to raising my three and a half year old son, Ayron. But I have breast cancer. The drug Herceptin will give me a chance to fight for my life, but my medical aid has refused to pay for all of it. So I am raising the rest of the funds myself. If you can help my fight for survival, please visit www.ogilvy-jhb.com/marnies-story.

Geez, that's a cheeky way to ask for money. But you've got to hand it to her (money, I mean), for originality. Good luck Marnie! Link

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Tracey said...

My Mom died of liver cancer two years ago after 9 months of ruinously expensive, physically and emotionally devastating, absolutely useless chemotherapy. My friend Charmagne died last night of ovarian cancer, after a similar experience. We had held several benefit evenings to raise the money for her treatment, which kept her alive for an additional six months -- weak, hairless, nauseous, depressed. I have had two precancerous polyps removed from my colon already and fully expect to die of colon cancer if a Steinway doesn't fall on me first. This I can tell you: NO CHEMOTHERAPHY FOR ME. I want to die swiftly, packed to the eyebrows with morphine, and with my hair and smile intact.